With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, many gyms and fitness centers were forced to close down. This created a sharp increase in demand for gym equipment as people began looking for ways to exercise at home.
Shoppers faced three large problems:
- Good quality equipment is rarely in stock, and when it becomes available it is often gone quickly.
- There are a large number of vendors and websites that offer equipment, making it difficult and time consuming to search every site.
- Equipment that is available is often very expensive, sold at a premium due to huge demand.
Ironscanner is a custom website built to address these problems:
- Periodically, the scraper service will scour various gym equipment websites and compute the availability and pricing information for certain types of gym equipment.
- Users who have signed up can choose to receive email notifications when Ironscanner detects that some equipment has newly become available.
The website is hosted in Amazon Web Services and makes use of many AWS services such as:
- Elastic Beanstalk
- Route 53
The site follows a microservices based architecture utilizing the following technologies and frameworks:
- Spring Boot
- Spring Cloud Config
- MySQL / JPA / Hibernate
- REST API
- HTML / CSS